Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Not sure if this is an easy question. I live in Florida in…

Customer Question
Good afternoon. Not sure...

Good afternoon. Not sure if this is an easy question. I live in Florida in Lee county. I rent a condo and on Sunday night I came home to water damge and flooding from the upstairs unit. They had a faulty toilet valve which caused leaking into my apartment. The landlord suggested that I move out because he can not get anyone to come to do water restoration because of the hurricane we just experienced. He will give me half my month rent back and my security but I am scrambling to find a place. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We live in Florida. Just trying to see if I am entitled to moving expenses etc. Of course I didnt have renters insurance :(

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I believe he contacted his insurance company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Since the flooding is caused by an appliance failure in another unit, you can sue the landlord, the Association and the owner of the other unit.

You are entitled to all damages stemming from the loss of your home due to this. You can recover lost property, storage fees, hotel fees, etc. If the responsible parties will not compensate you fairly you will need to sue them.

You may want to retain an attorney to assist you with this. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Also, The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program:

FLORIDA BAR ATTORNEY REFERRAL

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!