Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I recently parted ways with my rented home and in the search…

Customer Question
I recently parted ways...

I recently parted ways with my rented home and in the search for a new place my previous landlord gives a bad referral due to my current relations between me and my soon to be ex wife. I was renting off a former friend.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The problem I am having is I cannot get around having a landlord refferal NO

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

What is your legal question that I can help with this morning?

.

Is what the landlord saying true about the tenancy?

.

.

thanks

No They are claiming they property was destroyed and That rent was late, I had been there for 4 years, Rent had been late 4 times and they were notified ahead of time. The notice I received by mail was the landlord was in financial trouble and decided to sell the property

Ok, if the landlord is making false statements to others about your tenancy, you have a couple options. First, you could send him a cease and desist letter threatening to sue him for slander and defamation if he kept reporting negative untrue things about you to prospective landlords. Second, you could pay a local attorney to send the letter as that may have a little more impact..

.

But if he is reporting things that are true, but negative, then there is not much you can do about that.. For example he claims you paid your rent late... Technically that is true, if only 4 times in 4 years..

.

So the final option is that you might want to consider omitting him at all from any history. I have seen tenants in situations like this put down on any application that they were living with a friend, or a relative so that there is no real documentation for a new landlord to go research. Presumably the old landlord wasn't reporting to the credit agencies, as that requires a subscription, so there shouldn't be any official record of you living there unless you reported it..

.

If you were going to use the prior landlord as a reference, take all the sting out of it by just disclosing on any application that you were late 4 times in 4 years, but paid all late fees, and that landlord was in the process of a foreclosure due to his financial trouble so you didn't get along well.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer