Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is my landlord able to evict me for non payment of back rent…

Customer Question
Is my landlord able to...
Is my landlord able to evict me for non payment of back rent if there is no C.O.H. for my apartment
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

An residential rental must have a Certificate of Habitability (Also known as a Certificate of Occupancy) in order for it to be lawfully rented. It is illegal for the landlord to rent the property without the COH in place and can not collect rent (legally) from the unit. Since it is an illegal unit the Landlord actually lacks legal "Standing" to bring an eviction action. Therefre the Court should dismiss the case on your Motion to Dismiss any eviction proceeding for lack of the COH.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald