Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor pulled up the survey stakes and says the

Customer Question
My neighbor pulled up...

My neighbor pulled up the survey stakes and says the property is hers now. We are a platted neighborhood and she says its her property based on Adverse Possession.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, Florida, Jacksonville Beach. Per Jacksonville Beach the fence has to go back on the platted property line. She has not paid taxes or have we agreed to a land spit.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, I have to file in small claims to get the $200 back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh, she called the police saying we were having a fight at 5:58am, just to be a you know what. We were not having a fight.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation For someone to claim adverse possession, they have to get authorization by the courts to actually possess the property. Adverse possession requires that somebody open in notoriously occupies the land of another for statutory period of time. What this means is that they must do it adversely to the other party. This means that a court is going to require them to prove all of the elements into have been occupying the property for a certain amount of time. Usually it's 7 years in FL. You will have an opportunity to make your own defense that one or more of the elements regarding adverse possession is in met. She does not just get the land automatically. She will have to make the claim in the award of the land.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.