Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A few years ago I applied to have the house taxes reduced…

Customer Question
A few years ago...

A few years ago I applied to have the house taxes reduced and the house was eventually taken back by the bank and it was found out after all that the taxes were reduced the house has gone to the bank before this and the folks keep pushing to be paid.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

They don't say it Empire Tax Reductions they said they got he reduction, normally you have to pay them first before they actually submit the reduction at least that it way it used to be.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does this answer cost anything as I am just in position right now

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was applied for in 2015 , after approx. 16 trips to court and to try to get a modification because the house was ravaged by hurricane sandy and went under water mortgage wise and submitting countless paperwork to the bank they finally decided to take it back and the letter about the tax reduction came a few months after the house was already given back to the bank Chase and the tax folks were told this but they keep on insisting I even gave them the name of the new owner because I'm sure the new owner would take advantage of it.
Answered in 1 day by:
9/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 12 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

Good morning. I'll be happy to assist with your question. "Empire Tax Reductions they said they got he reduction", means to me that you hired a private real estate tax reduction service and you agreed to pay them a certain amount based upon their success in obtaining a tax reduction. You might still have that obligation, depending upon the language of the contract that you signed. it would not be the bank's responsibility or the subsequent owners', because they did not sign the contract with Empire. That said, my experience in working with companies like this is that they take their money out of any tax refund, which might be the result of a tax reduction and refund for prior years. If possible, locate your contract, or a that Empire uses to determine exactly what is said about personal liability of the property owner to pay any fees.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.