Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have a mobile home on our property that we told a couple…

Customer Question
We have a mobile...

We have a mobile home on our property that we told a couple they could stay in for ten days being charitable.We live in Florida. Now they claim they will not leave without an eviction notice or in this case an ejection notice because there is no lease. They are running up the power bill in our name. We have an appt with an attorney later this week. Can I turn off the power?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?

Florida. 1976 mobile home

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We went to the courthouse today in our county to get an eviction notice and they told us to get an ejection notice. These people called the sheriff on us because we told them they had to leave and repaired a hole in the roof from Hurricaine Irma.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No except can I cut the power off.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Don't do this. While this person is not a tenant, any action turning off power or utilities is considered a "constructive eviction", and is therefore a "wrongful eviction". I agree that it's horrible that they've taken advantage of your good will, and I hope that the judge that you go in front of will see this and have no mercy whatsoever. But the best way to ensure that is to comply with the law completely. And that means holding your nose, sending the 15 day notice to vacate, and filing the ejection case as soon as those 15 days pass.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 10 months ago