Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How do I find out who owns a home that was sold to reverse…

Customer Question
How do I find...

How do I find out who owns a home that was sold to reverse mortgage co. The owner of home died over 1 yr ago. All places I called or looked up online say they do not own it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

KY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I don't know. It was sold to one reverse mortgage. I called them-they say they don't own it. I called Celink-last known (owners) they don't own it-called Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae and looked up forecloseures online-can't find.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Drug addict son staying there with druggie friends-has torn up house-garbage inside and out-has never paid taxes or homeowners-need him gone

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

You have a couple of options.

First, you can visit to the county recorder's office for the county where the property is located and ask them to provide you a copy of the last deed recorded on the property.

You can also call a title company, such as Chicago Title or Fidelity Title, for examples, and ask for an ownership report. The cost is nominal and they can tell you who the current owner of record is.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!