Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had what I feel is a wrongful eviction. I paid rent and…

Customer Question
I had what I...

I had what I feel is a wrongful eviction. I paid rent and then 2 weeks later I was being sued for unlawful detainer. Can I sue the landlord for damages?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have to be out on the 20th, if that matters.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

What are the damages?

I sense there is something missing here. Were you behind in your rent? What is the basis for the eviction?