Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a bed bug, roach infested cooperative. What rights…

Customer Question
I live in a...

I live in a bed bug, roach infested cooperative. What rights do I have regarding paying my rent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

District of Columbia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The resident manager who said they were going to refund me some of my monies that I've been paying for the last 17 years says his lawyer says they don't owe me anything because I'm delinquent and they're taking me to court for such.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I've been dealing with unhealthy living conditions for a long time in this compfex such as mold, mildew, mice, no door on my bathroom, one maintenance man for the whole development, and I do have a cat, which I'm not the only one in the development with an animal. I don't mind paying for my cat; however, they shouldn't take monies due me for suffering in these unhealthy living condition for years.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Your question: "What rights do I have regarding paying my rent?"

Answer:

Washington DC is one of the few areas which allows a renter to withhold rent until repairs are made or else to hire someone to fix a serious defect and deduct the cost from the rent. In cases such as bed bugs, rats you have to first ask the landlord to take care of the problem and give them a reasonable time in which to do so. Then if they don't you can have an exterminator come in and exterminate and deduct that from the rent. The same would be for any other repairs which render the property uninhabitable or dangerous.

It doesn't mean that you can do that with any complaints about the property. To fall under this law the condition must be serious.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney