Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a business owner. I have a vendor that we got behind…

Customer Question
I am a business...

I am a business owner. I have a vendor that we got behind with and have several times. we get caught up and then behind again...with the economy the last 3 years. back in may we had a running balance with them of 85,000 so they set us up with a plan to pay $5000 plus that weeks orders. so around 6-7000 a week and they would keep our orders from being held. we have been doing this with no problems. we live in corpus. we currently had a hurricane. the day we came back from the hurricane and got things running again, they came to us and said they will not release our order unless we start sending 10,000 plus that weeks orders. so they doubled it. our balance with them now is 70,000. so we were doing better, but they felt like we needed more. odd timing right? we feel like this is part of that price gauging that is illegal after a major hurricane. they are taking advangtage of the fact that we need their product despreately at this time because we sell boxes and bubble wrap and that is in high need. is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Corpus christi tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you have this agreement with them in writing?

We purchased company 2010 and we didnt sign anything with them. i am not sure about previous owner. and we certainly dont have an agreement to pay 10,000plus a week

Thank you for the reply. Based upon the goods, it is not likely that it would amount price gouging. §17.46(b) of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices-Consumer Protection Act provides that it is a false, misleading or deceptive act or practice to take advantage of a disaster declared by the Governor under Chapter 418, Government Code, by:

1. Selling or leasing fuel, food, medicine or another necessity at an exorbitant or excessive price; or
  2. Demanding an exorbitant or excessive price in connection with the sale or lease of fuel, food, medicine or another necessity.

If you can show that what you sell and need are necessities, you could report this company to the AG. However, as far as their demand for more money to pay off the balance owed, they can do that if they want. I say this because even though you fell on hard times, they extended you the credit and kept sending the product and they are owed this money and there is nothing in writing, to evidence the agreement.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer