Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are considering purchase of a nearly new (built in 2014)

Customer Question
Texas home, used initially as...
We are considering purchase of a nearly new (built in 2014) Texas home, used initially as a builder model home until first occupied in early 2016. The adjacent home has a fast-growing willow tree in the corner of his adjoining yard, the trunk of which has pushed the common boundary wood fence several inches onto what would be our property. This type of willow is also known to be an incredibly "dirty" tree, spewing out leaves and other "tree trash" in copious quantity.You apparently addressed this issue some eight years ago, and in the meantime various courts have ruled on this issue (see https://treeandneighborlawblog.com/encroachment/). What do you consider the Texas rule at this point in time? Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 11 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Texas law allows the party whose property is being encroached upon to either (a) use self help, or, (b) seek relief in Court.

The neighbor whose property is being encroached upon can cut the tree to the property line, and then even sue the neighbor for the cost of needing to do this. However, he cannot cut further unto the neighbor's property, and, must take care not to cut any more than necessary to ensure that the tree is cut to the border of the property.

Alternatively, he can go to court and get permission for doing the above first, but this is not mandatory.

This falls under the doctrine of nuisance. A nuisance is a condition that substantially interferes with the use and enjoyment of land by causing unreasonable discomfort or annoyance to persons of ordinary sensibilities. Schneider Nat'l Carriers, Inc. v. Bates, 147 S.W.3d 264, 269 (Tex.2004); see also Burditt v. Swenson, 17 Tex. 489 (1856).

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.