Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm the seller of a house in, FL. The buyer lives in

Customer Question
Hi, I'm the seller...

Hi, I'm the seller of a house in Perry, FL. The buyer lives in Michigan. On July 27 we signed a contract on my mobile home. At that time my realtor (Vicki) gave the buyer my disclosure statement. He gave a $500 deposit. The closing was Sept 12, which due to Irma didn't take place, however, the buyer and I were both doing it by mail (I now live in Valrico). The closing date has been extended to Wed Sept 20. There was some damage done by Irma like a downed pine tree, panels blown out of greenhouse, a piece of skirting blown out...everything has been repaired and pictures were sent to buyer. I have fulfilled my part of the contract. Last week the buyer he wanted out of the contract because he wouldn't be able to get insurance...Vicki sent him names of two insurance companies that insure mobile homes. Now he is saying he didn't receive a disclosure statement and the contract is therefore null and void...said I could keep the $500. My place passed all inspections except one thing and that was corrected. Can I take legal action against the buyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I don't understand...what paperwork?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Everything has gone thru a title company.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Do you have a copy of the contract? If so, can you upload a copy here (using the paperclip / upload button on your screen)?

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?

I saw it. And, yes, I have a copy of the contact. What do you need to know because I don't know how to send it.
No phone call!! It looks like I've spent $45 already and I still don't have an answer! What a rip off!

The phone call offer is system generated, and I think we'll be just fine with the chat. As far as being a "rip-off", we don't have to continue with this if you're not comfortable. JustAnswer has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403) so that's a pretty substantial assessment by a well respected independent organization that this is not a rip-off.

Please let me know if you don't wish to continue, and I'll make sure that everything gets refunded to you.