Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a land-locked home/property in New Hampshire. There…

Customer Question
I have a land-locked...

I have a land-locked home/property in New Hampshire. There is no driveway, no way for a car to access parking ON the property (the backyard is large, and could accommodate parking). When winter comes, cars are not allowed to be parked on the street. The City parking lot across the street used in previous winters for parking is now under sinstruction and as of now, is no longer available nor will it be in the future. I need to have an easement by necessity to access my property from the back side to allow parking for myself and my one tenant. HOW does this process work? What are the steps for the process to establish permanent access?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I already did

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 9 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

So to be clear, there are no other viable alternatives for parking?

Correct. Now that the city parking lot is being turned into a building, there will be no where to park when it snows, as no cars are allowed to park on the street with snow.

Just a few more minutes; I'm preparing a response- thank you!

no worries. I am trying to understand the process to obtain the easement by necessity.

Easement by necessity are not as cut and dry as most easements. For example, in the NH case Bradley v. Patterson, the court further stated that "necessity alone is insufficient to create an easement.” and that “the surrounding circumstances must be examined to determine whether they will support the conclusion that the parties intended to create an easement.”

Most courts will require the following elements:

1. initial unity of title

2. division of the tract

3. creating the necessity of an easement.

The court may also consider public interest in avoiding landlocked and thus useless property, but this needs to be weighed against the neighboring property's private interests.

The proper way to obtain an easement is to either negotiate directly with the neighbor, or to petition the court by filing a motion. This is a custom drafted document (no pro forma templates available). If successful, the court typically does require the petitioning party to pay fair market value for the easement, even if by necessity.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Might you google***** concord NH? I cannot past the map here. There is a 'no named street' (L shaped) which touches the back of the property. How do I know if this street is city or private? I think that may be the crux of the issue?
I added a picture document
This property is downtown, the homes are 100+ years old, streets are tight, setback rules were never in place, etc.

There should be a plot map at the recorder's office and it will indicate the street name or plot number. Then that information can be used to determine who the owner is (it is searchable by plot #).

Are you still researching?

Researching the law? That information including case law is included above. Were you able to view it?

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: