Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother died without a wil and has less than two hundred…

Customer Question
My mother died without...

My mother died without a wil and has less than two hundred dollars in her checking account with no other assets of value. The landlord wants to charge her 750.00 early termination of lease. How should,handle this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet they are waiting for me to give them a death Certificate

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/17/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Your mother's estate would still be legally responsible for the rent due under the lease. However, the administrator of the estate would have the ability to issue a notice cancelling the lease due to your mother's death.....which would stop the obligation. But, if $750 is less than another month's rent, it may be the best option.

Here is a link that addresses terminating a lease due to the death of a tenant: http://law.justia.com/codes/nevada/2010/title10/chapter118a/nrs118a-340.html