Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Me and my husband have been married 21 years we have lived…

Customer Question
Me and my husband have...
Me and my husband have been married 21 years we have lived in this home 18 years we purchased it but it's in my father-in-law's name me and my husband are going through a divorce and now now trying to kick me out of the house is that right or not can he do that
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If the property is in father in law's name, then legally he is the owner of it. So that makes both you and your spouse legal tenants in his property and the father in law your landlord.

.

In TX, a landlord can terminate a month to month tenancy with a written 30 day notice to vacate. If the occupant didn't move out within that time, then the landlord has to file a formal eviction action in court and get a judgment and writ that the sheriff will execute to force the occupants to leave. That takes about another month.

.

So the father in law could force you to leave unless you got a court order from the divorce judge preventing that, but it would take him around 2 months to do so.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer