Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Does the Town of Hempstead Building Dept. in Nassau County…

Customer Question
Does the Town of...

Does the Town of Hempstead Building Dept. in Nassau County NY have right to search an entire building when there is was a complaint about a illegal basement apt. made over 7 years ago?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No paper work file since it's part of my legal office in a commercial/ residential building I been in for over 30 years

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Is there a court order?
No. Just a 7 1/2 year old pending violation. Maybe a neighbor complained? They have no idea if it's true but they want to search every square inch of building and property including detached structures. What rights do I have? They also said I don't have a smoke alarm. I have proof that I have a full alarm system with smoke detectors every place in the building for over 30 years hooked to a central station with a certificate from the Alarm Co. Where they got this is beyond me. I'm selling my business and want to close in 3 to 4 weeks. I told them this when I went to the building dept. on the 6th of Sept. No answer back yet. I went to the building commissioners office on the 15th but he couldn't see me, to busy. I'm a Vietnam era Vet with 3 tours and had a heart attack and need to sell as quickly as possible.
I also never knew I had a violation. Thank you
A search has to be reasonable and confined and predicated on a court order. If violation shown normally leads to a cure notice and fine. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
There is no court order it's just a violation from the building department the question is whether the building department alone and by itself as the authorization from whatever Authority to do whatever they want, go where they want in a commercial building
They have authority to inspect the building. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
You charged me $45. This was for $5.
No you didn't answer my questions. I want a refund.
You asked if if the agency can inspect and It can. what else can I answer for you?
Tina, Lawyer