Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I purchased a modular home in Aug. 2016 with a one year

Customer Question
I purchased a modular...

I purchased a modular home in Aug. 2016 with a one year warranty. When it was delivered the factory installed air conditioner was damaged and needed to be replaced. It took them 6 weeks to replace it during that time I could not live in the house because I live in TN and temperatures are in the 80s-90s. I move in Oct. 1st, 2016. One of the things on the punch list repairs was trouble with an electrical circuit in the wall behind the sink. This line is on a GFI reset. They sent some one who replaced the light switch. This past month I again had trouble with the same electrical line and again a man was sent out and he tightened a loose wire in a fixture. The following week the GFI reset triggered and shut off the electricity to that part of the line when reset it triggered again. I again called the factory explaining the issue and was told because the house was now out of warranty and I had never mentioned trouble with the GFI the issue was my problem not theirs. I think that because it is the same line that caused the other issues they should fix it under the warranty.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I talked to them and was told it was my problem because I never mentioned the GFI. I also sent an email on Wed. explaining why I thought they should fix it they are suppose to get back to me but as yet have not

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. Can you give me an idea of how much you expect it to cost to complete this work (if you had to pay for it yourself)?

Not really, but it would have to be done by an electrician so I would assume a couple of hundred up to 500.

Thank you
I ask because this is something you could use small claims court to resolve.

Small claims is a true "peoples court". The formal rules of evidence and procedure do not apply. So you can represent yourself (no need to hire a lawyer).

The process is simple enough. You head to the county court (the county where the company is located) and talk to the clerk of the court. They can get you the forms needed to start. You file the claim, serve a copy on the defendant and wait for your day in court.

In court, be prepared to tell the judge what happened, and bring in copies of any evidence that supports your case. IF there are witnesses who can testify about what happened? Have them come as well.

Now...can you force them to pay this even though the warranty period has expired?

Well...it is a bit of a longshot. The general rule is if you want to claim on a warranty, you have to file within the warranty period.

That said, small claims court is an "equity" court. Meaning it is a court where the court attempts to do things that are fair to both parties...and if you can show that this issue was identified prior to the end of the warranty period, you have a chance to have the court order they pay you the cost

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

Thanks for your understanding
Phil