Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I was separated from my partner couple months ago and he…

Customer Question
Hi, I was separated...

Hi, I was separated from my partner couple months ago and he forged my signature to rent an apartment. That apartment people spoke spoke to my own landlord and my landlord decided to fill out a request for verification form without my consent. I was later informed about this by my landlord and was upset because I felt like they should have talked to me first or verified my signature before doing the form. I want to take a legal action but do I have a case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MN

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I haven't taken any legal action yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I take legal action without putting my partner to identity thief risk here? It's not his fault that my landlord was negligent. Yes he forged my signature but isn't it the responsibility of a landlord to verify that all signature are true ?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Can you please clarify what request for verification form the landlord filled out? Also, were you harmed by this action?

Verification of Residence: Which includes personal informations
no thanks
Hello are you going to say anything or is this a fraud?

Hi again.

Which form was filled out, and who was it given to? Do you have a link to the form?

Also, were you harmed by the landlord's actions?

The form came from a company called " Multihousing Credit Control and the form is called " Request for Verification of Residence.
The form had a list of personal infos that my landlord had disclose and they did.

Hi again.

I'd like to help if I can, but you aren't giving me much to work with. I have never heard of Multihousing Credit Control, or the Request for Verification of Residence form. But a Google search indicates that it is a private company, and so its form is likely proprietary. I don't know what the form stated, who the landlord gave the form to, or whether you were harmed in any way.

Can you provide any more details about the situation? Thanks!

The form asked for the following: Dates of residency, rent amount paid, subsidized lease, proper notice received, list fulfilled, evicted, skipped, lease violations, currently owing, deposit refunded? would you rerent? late payments? Any pest infestations? housekeeping habits? Verified by the agent at my apartment leasing.
At the end it saids the following " We verify we have the applicant's signed release for requested information. All informations is confidential and will be used only in determining for rental housing. We greatly appreciate your cooperation in supplying the applicable information as requested above. Thank you for your assistance and prompt response!