Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Second opinion] I am wondering if you could shed some light…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hello, I...

Second opinion] Hello, I am wondering if you could shed some light on a dilemma I am having, as a tenant, with my property manager. Two weeks ago, our washing machine broke in our house ( the landlord supplies this appliance) and they have still not fixed it. They took a week to send out a plumber, who then reported back to them that it needed to be replaced. The property manager has stated that this is a "luxury" item and therefore they are not held to RCW 59.18.070...is this accurate, or are they full of crap?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have email correspondence logged with my property manager, so I can provide that if need be.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/16/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The landlord is full of it.. a washer is never a "luxury item" and if you rented the place with it included, the landlord has to maintain/replace it if it breaks. It is simply an appliance that the landlord is responsible for. So this would fall under the 10 day rule in that RCW.

.

So you have the right to sue them for breach of contract for them failing to do so for injunctive action forcing them to replace it as well as a reduction in rent for the time that the washer was not working.

.

.

thanks