Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have lived at a place for 11 years and have paid my rent…

Customer Question
I have lived at...

I have lived at a place for 11 years and have paid my rent on time every time. I receive an eviction notice on 9/2 for 9/30. I may need to stay another month before another place is ready for me. They put the wrong unit number on the notice. Is that notice still good even with the wrong address?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Seattle, Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, I don't think so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If the notice is not good I want to put in my notice on 10/1 for 10/31. They also handed me a notice they are going to start showing the unit on Sunday 9/17 even if we are not there. Is that legal?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. In all honesty, it is probable that the notice will still be good even if the unit number is ***** unfortunately. However, this doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to work with them to see if they could extend the move out date just a bit to be fair. The requirement to act fairly toward the other party is a requirement in all contracts.

Regardless, as far as whether they can show the place, that’s a different story. You have the right to quiet enjoyment inside or you building and the landlord is typically only allowed in when you consent, if there is an emergency, or to conduct routine maintenance. Otherwise, they aren’t allowed to just show up on your property until you move out. At that point, it would be trespassing.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer