Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a tenant be charged with trespassing if they do not

Customer Question
Can a tenant be...

Can a tenant be charged with trespassing if they do not leave the property after her lease has expired

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She was given a letter 60 days ago saying her lease would not be renewed her lease expired on September 15 and she is refusing to move now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I filed for possession of the property about 45 days ago she's a month and a half behind on her rent we have a court date of September 21

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

The tenant cannot be charged with trespassing, but you can bring an unlawful detainer suit to have her evicted.

Once the hearing is completed and the eviction is granted by the court, you will be able to serve the tenant with a writ of possession and get the sheriff's office to help you move her out.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.