Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have a water runoof dispute with neighbour, Brookhaven…

Customer Question
Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a water runoof dispute with neighbour

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Brookhaven GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

So short summary is : We demolished an old house and constructed a new house in-place.
Our neighbor is complaining about increased water flow after demolition of old home.
City officials reviewed and approved demolition and construction after completion of each phase.
We were also required to do water quality measures implementation and that was completed according to approved plans. City believes that our construction complies to ordinance.
Our neighbor has retained a legal advisor for this matter.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Is there in fact a water flow issue?

rainwater flow

And this was somehow caused by your property? I am trying to ascertain if the neighbor has a viable complaint

Not sure about that

The way to handle this would be to make an independent inspection by a licensed professional. If you can show that the neighbor's claim has no merit any case the neighbor files would need to be dismissed.

If the neighbor has only threatened to file this is an idle threat until an action is filed. I would like to see his proof.

Can you recommend a professional?

Pursuant to the terms of service of the site I cannot refer a specific inspector. I would check for licensed professionals through the State to make sure they are in good standing.

The ideal situation is a licensed professional with no history of consumer protection issues.

Let me see if I can find a link for the area and they can be checked against with the State.

I can also provide a link for Attorneys in the area that provide FREE consultations is this accelerates in the meantime. One moment please.

Okay

Just an example of a company that provides these services http://www.keystonepropertyinspections.com/

" ...the Georgia Construction Industry Licensing Board. If you have questions about whether a tradesman needs a state license, you may contact the Secretary of State’s office or review their website.

Most contractors are also subject to county or city licensing requirements. You can check with your county or city government to make sure your contractor has the proper licensing or to report someone operating without the required local license." http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-topics/building-contractors

The fact that the City Officials "believes that our construction complies to ordinance." speaks volumes to me.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Are you still online with me?

Are you still online with me? Do you have additional questions for me? The site will not provide the Attorneys with credit for our work and time. Thank you for your consideration.
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney