Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I inherited my dad house when he passed May 15th 2017. The…

Customer Question
I inherited my dad...

I inherited my dad house when he passed May 15th 2017. The house has been in my name for about 15 years but dad was staying there and my nephew moved in & didn't pay rent. I want to renovate the house now and I want my nephew to pay rent but he says the house is old & he not paying until I fix it up. What steps do I need to take

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is Charlotte NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No not yet. He agreed to pay starting 9/1 then 9/15 now he has this excuse

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean "what steps do I take"?

Are you asking the process to evict the nephew?

no I just need to know do I need to do paperwork for an eviction on him

Thanks
You have to give them notice, in writing, and at least 30 days to find a new place to live. Keep a copy of this notice.

IF they refuse to leave, on day 31 you head to the county court and file an eviction case. At the hearing, you show the judge a copy of the eviction notice and the judge will order eviction.

You give the eviction order to the sheriff and they will remove him (if he has not already left)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

thank you

Welcome. PLEASE take the time to accept the answer, that is the only way I receive credit

THanks!

phil