Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in Tennessee and need to evict a tenant on my

Customer Question
I live in Tennessee...

I live in Tennessee and need to evict a tenant on my mother's property. What steps do I take? I have written eviction letter dictating that they be out by July 31st as of now they are not staying there but claim to be moving.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No that's what I need to know. Where do I start?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so other than the fact that the property is in a mess!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 9 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

So to be clear the eviction notice stated July 31 and they left but abandoned their personal property?

No as of Monday, she said she would be moving the next day and has not shown up. She has been staying at the property most of the time.
Where do I get a warrant to remove her?
Are you still here?
I'm out and will cancel service!

A few moments please; my computer started an auto update. I am typing my response now.

A warrant is not the proper method; the landlord would need to file an unlawful detainer action (eviction). Here is that form:

http://www.tsc.state.tn.us/sites/default/files/detainer_summons_8_10.pdf

Title 66, Chapter 28 of the Tennessee code governs this process.

Unfortunately it takes a few weeks to get a hearing, but if successful the landlord can include as damages court costs and legal fees.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: