Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My name is **************. I have been married for 19 years.

Customer Question
My name is **************...

My name is **************. I have been married for 19 years. In 2010 my brother died & left me his home. He also left a substantial amount of money to me which my wife & I spent over the next 5-1/2 years. We were stupid. We did not pay taxes. When the house was transferred to me the title was put in my name only. In June of this year I had to sell the home to pay off debts owed to the IRS. I stupidly gave the proceeds of the sale of the house which was $441,000 to my wife in whom I trusted in good faith & she then deposited it in a bank account at Wells Fargo in her name only. My wife told me back at the beginning of June that as I had done a bad job doing the finances, & of course she had nothing to do with it, she was going to take over. I trusted my wife implicitly. We owed the IRS $258,000. The balance left was $183,000 + around $$7,000 which at that time was in her account. I cannot remember where this money came from right know. On 7/24 she paid the IRS approximately $200,000 which was the greater portion of what was owed for the taxes. She has kept in her account approximately $52,000. Before the house was in escrow we had approximately $17,000 which was in her account. This money was from a car that my son totaled. The total given from Liberty Mutual was $17,000. I also stupidly gave the $17,000 to my wife which she put in her account. Whilst the house was in escrow she bought a mobile home for $160,000 cash, putting it in her name only. I knew about this. The decision to buy the mobile home was her idea. She put $5,000 down as a deposit. That left around $183,000 from the sale of the house + the $5,000, that was also in her account - total $188,000. I thought that I was moving into the mobile home with my family. But on 6/24/17 I was told that I had to leave because our sons did not like me shouting=cg. Of course the was an angel - I know very immature by me. So like a mouse I left. They moved out of the house a few days later & went to a hotel not far from where we lived. She took a suite there for 25 days whilst the mobile home was being updated with new flooring & a new kitchen. I believe the cost was $18,000. I was told the reason she took a suite for $287/night was that the hotel allowed dogs & we had a dog & room for our 3 boys. Approximate total spent $7,175 + taxes.They moved into the mobile home. I am not to sure of the date but I think it was around the 7/26. I know the city they moved to, Moorpark but I was never given the address & the boys were told not to give me the address. A friend of mine found the address for me. I have not been to the home because I do not want a fight or the police ca. I am very scared. I do not know what to do. When I was told to leave I was given $1,000 cash. I also received $4,300 2 weeks after escrow closed. I have used that money to pay bills. I am a driver for Lyft & earn $3,400/month. No taxes are taken out of this income. So I am responsible for the taxes. I also receive social security. July the payment was $1,524.00. Prior to that the IRS for the last 6 months have been deducting approximately $220. I also get $1,050/month from Social Security for my 16 year old son until May 2019. I am 69 years old. My wife works part time for a company & gets $12.50/hour before taxes approximately $1,550/ month & takes zero deductions so the net is approximately $900.00/month. I could be wrong about this. It could be more & maybe she is working more hours. She is learning to be a real estate agent & is intending to flip the mobile home she owns & buy another one. I makes so angry that she is doing this with my money & I am concerned that she can wash the original money. I am very scared. I pay these monthly bills. Auto Insurance $570 Medical Insurance $1,382 Three Car payments $1,209 including Lyft - See below Cell Phone bill $470 Meds $100 Gas for my car $900 Misc $400 Food for me $600 Total $5,631 I do not pay for any of the these since I moved out - utilities, cable, food,

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. I am really reeling from this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The biggest asset is the mobile home. I have no way of knowing what to do. That is why I mentioned a writ of property

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did she file for divorce against you? Have you filed divorce yet?