Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The new construction next door put up a gate against my

Customer Question
house going about 10 inches...
The new construction next door put up a gate against my house going about 10 inches over into my property. Slender space, I know, but now I don't have access to that part of my property... what can I do, and what is reasonable?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you saying that the neighbor next door has crossed over your property line and installed the gate on your property?

.

Have you confirmed that they are encroaching with your survey?

.

.

thanks

They had a survey done and according to that, the gate is 100% on my property by about 10 inches. I ordered a survey and still waiting on the results.

Ok, then they have zero right to encroach and trespass on your property and you can force them to remove the gate and sue them for any damages to your property. I am not sure why they didn't get a survey done before putting the gate up, but that is their problem to deal with.

.

So you can tell them that they either remove the gate from your land or you will sue them for trespass and for all legal costs associated with the suit..

.

.

thanks