Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I just went through a divorce. And I received a letter from…

Customer Question
I just went through...

I just went through a divorce. And I received a letter from her attorney saying I have to sell the house by 12/7/17. I got a realtor to sell the house, within 1 day we had 2 showings and 2 offers, the sign wasn't even up yet. We accepted an offer 2 days later. Since then my 2 daughters told me that they wanted to remain. I told my ex wife about this and she said that I could buy her out. My question is, is there any way to to get out of this contract, since it all happened so rapidly?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Unfortunately yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, once you actually sign a contract for purchase with anyone, that is binding. So the only way out of this is to negotiate with the buyer to seek to get them to agree in writing to cancel the contract. You may need to offer them some money payment to allow you to cancel the contract and any such cancellation would need to be in writing.

I am afraid that outside of negotiation with the buyer to get them to agree to end the contract you are bound by written agreements you sign. You may also end up owing the real estate agent for breaching the contract, since they would be losing their commission as well, depending on your contract with the agent.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.