Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I have a friend who has relocated and has a Section 8

Customer Question

I have a friend who has relocated and has a Section 8 voucher good until 11/17/17. He was searching for housing in this area, but he may have to enter a hospital for residential care. Is there a way for him to freeze and re-activate this voucher after his discharge? The stress of the deadline is exacerbating his anxiety as it is.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: He already has an extended transportable voucher good until November 17th (the 120-day maximum)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I’m sorry to hear about your friend’s situation. Unfortunately, a Section 8 voucher can only be frozen if there is a pending discrimination complaint with the FHA. Otherwise, the voucher period will continue. My apologies and I wish there was something different. If your friend is released from residential care, he may reapply assuming he is eligible.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually