How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 28356
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Arizona. I moved in with my boyfriend a few months

This answer was rated:

I live in Arizona. I moved in with my boyfriend a few months ago. We are breaking up because of his infidelity and he is now threatening to evict me. I moved from California to move here. Can he legally evict me?
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We do not have a written lease agreement. I paid him $1100 cash to help pay the mortgage/bills. He's says he's going to claim I have paid him nothing.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Arizona

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Do you pay him the $1100 every month?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just moved in mid August and the agreement was that I would not pay until September
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All verbal, no written lease, no receipt for the cash I gave him.

Thank you for the reply. If there was/is an agreement to contribute to the mortgage and household expenses, a court would view that as a form of rent. Moreover, if you now reside there and lived there and moved in reliance on an agreement with him, you would have a right to be there at this time. However, without anything in writing, this would likely be viewed as a month to month tenancy by the court and in CA, if you have lived there for less than a year, he would only need to provide you with a 30 day written notice to vacate. If he did this and you remained, he could proceed through the court and file for eviction and have you removed, if you do not voluntarily vacate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We live in Arizona, not California. I moved from CA to AZ to move in with him.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just want to clarify that he can not have me removed prior to 30 days

Thank you and please allow me a moment

Yes, a one month/30 day notice would need to be given by him before he files for eviction. He can not use self help, to evict you and just change the locks or remove your personal items.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you please clarify...."He can not use self help, to evict you and just change the locks or remove your personal items"?
He can change the locks before the 30 days?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If he files paperwork with the Court, can he change the locks? Don't I have any rights?

No, he can not change the locks at all. You do have rights to remain and can even contest this, if he files for eviction.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, that's all I needed to know.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you