Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Homeowner association of 16 units. What would be quorum.

Customer Question
Homeowner association of 16...

Homeowner association of 16 units. What would be quorum

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Houston Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes we have by laws but I do not understand

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/14/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

A quorum is the smallest number of board members necessary to legally conduct the business of your HOA. Most, but not all, groups define a quorum as a simple majority of the members. It should be defined in your HOA's bylaws, normally they state 51%.

Without a quorum, a vote cannot be taken, and the status quo can't be changed.

Unless a quorum is present, minutes should note be taken since official business of the HOA cannot be conducted.

Opponents to a proposal that would change the status quo can block the proposal by walking out of a meeting or not attending in the first place.

Usually, the rule that defines a quorum ignores any vacant seats. In this case, if a simple majority is required to have a quorum, and there are seven board seats, but there are only four members, all four would have to be present to conduct business.

A quorum for a meeting here if you have 51% in your rules would be 9 members or proxies.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer