Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a rental house that we rented to a friend that works…

Customer Question
I have a rental...

I have a rental house that we rented to a friend that works with my husband and we are having some issues now. Not sure what type of attorney I would need to speak with.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. We rented it without a lease to him and his son and now his girlfriend has moved in and claims it is her house. She has never talked to us about renting the house. We have asked them to move out in 30 days and the original renter stated that was fine but we are not sure what our options are if this doesn't happen in the 30 days. Rent was not paid for this month and utilities are still under our name also.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago

I am sorry to hear that you are concerned that you will not be able to get your son and his girlfriend to move out. Landlord-tenant issues are never easy and are even more difficult when they involve family. However, you do have options.

In order to evict a tenant without a written lease, you must first provide them written notice that they must move out within 30 days. If the tenant fails to move out after 30 days, you would need to file an unlawful detainer suit against them. After you file the suit, a hearing date will be set. Once the hearing is completed, you will be able to serve the tenants with a writ of possession and will be able to request the assistance of the sheriff's office to get them to move out.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi