Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a POA board of directors have a workshop meeting without…

Customer Question
Can a POA board of...
Can a POA board of directors have a workshop meeting without notifying the association?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the Texas Open Meetings Act, which applies to POA's, they may attend a social gathering that is unrelated to the body’s public business, regional, state, or national conventions or workshops, ceremonial events, or press conferences, as long as no formal actions are taken and the discussion of POA is only incidental to the event. See: Tex. Gov’t Code Ann. § 551.001(4). See Tex. Att’y Gen. Op. No. H-785 (1976) at 2 (breakfast meetings of governing body must be purely social without any discussion of public business).

So, as long as they are having a workshop where no POA business is discussed, except incidentally, it is permissible for them to have such workshops without notifying the Association as normally required under the open meetings act.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.