Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a spouse of an HOA member run for the board of directors…

Customer Question
Can a spouse of...

Can a spouse of an HOA member run for the board of directors when their wife has filed a lawsuit against the same HOA that he is running for??

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

It's in SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

His wife is suing our HOA, the home builders, the landscapers, the former HOA

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Yes, provided a candidate were otherwise qualified then they can run for a seat on the board and serve on the board even if their spouse (or they) have ongoing litigation against the board. Of course, if elected, they would need to recuse themselves from votes regarding the litigation to avoid any conflicts.

Any provision prohibiting a qualified candidate from running due to the fact that they are suing the board would likely be unenforceable as it is a person's right to access the courts to make a legal claim.

I am sorry I can not tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your whhels on this.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!