Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are building a true screened porch. Screened from floor…

Customer Question
We are building a...

We are building a true screened porch. Screened from floor to ceiling. Screened from wall to wall. It was built at the level of the family room off the back of the house. One builder said this was against code because water and snow melt in upstate New York could potentially leak into the family room and we would not be covered by insurance. Possibly our insurance carry might cancel our home owners insurance. Another builder said we could build this way. what is the truth?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Fairport New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes. All the required permit work. The drawings were very sketchy though.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Building codes are locally adopted and you can call the building inspector for Fairport at(###) ###-#### They can answer the questions about specific code requirements for screened in porches and confirm or refute what you are being told about floor to screen specs.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further question? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

I already Knew to go to the Perinton Town Codes Office. I thought you would have more specific information. I was wrong. Think this site is a scam.

Sorry. I will opt out. Perhaps another expert will have more specific information for you.

Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

If the builder is satisfied that it is withing code specs. and the building permits were issued by the Town, what more "specific information" do you think you need. Before you build it, you can invite a representative of the insurance company to review the plans and tell you what their position will be. There might be a code requirement that that slab has to slightly slope away from the house.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.