Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I paid for an investigation into the Deed and have the PDF.

Customer Question
There are liens on the...
I paid for an investigation into the Deed and have the PDF. There are liens on the house including one for unspecified child support. I can attach if need be.
My wife signed and was added to the Deed of her mother's house along with her brother 10 years ago. The house is in disrepair (electrical problems, cracked foundation) however it has tenants living inside. The brother has been taking care of the payments and rent collection. The house is in Stockton, California. My question is: What is my liability as her husband if the tenants are injured and sue? Is my current equity in my current property at risk if a lawsuit comes from this? What can I do - if anything - to protect us from any lawsuits on this property.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You are not liable for debts she incurs as a general matter. I would recommend having insurance, maintaining asssts separately and consider having property held by an LLC in which she is the only member for added protection. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are not the attorney advertised to answer this matter. The estate attorney advertised had other credentials. I did not ask for a real estate attorney. Your answer also does not sound accurate because I have already had to pay off her debt on other matters since it was considered a "community debt" because we are married.
I can opt out and you can get another expert. This is not an estate issue.