Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

I am in New Jersey State dealing with a squatter neighbor, I

Customer Question

I am in New Jersey State dealing with a squatter neighbor
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I called the police and also to the Animal Control reporting a dog abuse
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Well when the police came they said they will write a report. The city tried to lock the house but the guy keeps coming in and taking out any paper or notice from the door
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont own the property, I think the Bank does, but I am concerned about my family safety
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your squatter's rights legal question in NJ. Squatters must have been in occupation for 20-60 years, depending on the property type to acquire any legal rights of possession.

Trespassing is illegal and you can continue to file police reports or contact your local DA's office to pursue a criminal action against the trespasser.

You should also contact the legal owner who may bring a civil action and action , eviction or quiet title action against the squatter where law enforcement are reluctant to get involved.

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me where you require additional clarification or information.

In return remember to rate positively today.

As I'm not an employee of justanswer I rely on your positive feedback to get a credit.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So i hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill