Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Do all HOAs calculate household square footage tocaluiate…

Customer Question
Do all HOAs calculate...

Do all HOAs calculate household square footage tocaluiate association fees I

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

& special assessments fee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Montecito, Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our Homeowner's Association has 11condo units. There are three different square footage models but we are all assessed the same amount for association dues and special assessments. Is this common practice? I understand many associations calculate the above by square footage.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 11 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Not at all. Some HOAs have a flat fee for each member which may actually be more than what it would cost per square foot. Some HOAs calculate fees per square foot. Others employ other formula. It is completely up to the HOA's CC&Rs and bylaws that control the situation.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.