Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We live in a townhouse ( of a condominium association) on…

We live in a...

We live in a townhouse (pat of a condominium association) on the Windward side of Oahu in Hawaii. When we bought our townhouse in 1995, there were many trees in the front and back of our unit. Over the last 15 years or so, the association has removed FOUR trees and a large bush that directly provided shade and privacy to our home, and, after repeated complaints, a few months ago it has planted ONE small sapling, that too in the wrong place. As a result, due to the overheating due to loss of shade, our master bedroom is uninhabitable all afternoon till about

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Hawaii

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Do you mean a lawsuit? If so, no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do we have any recourse for the loss of use of our master bedroom because of the total loss of shade?

9/12/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. Often a lawyer letter gets the issue corrected reserving the option to sue for an injunction to get them to act. If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The kind of recourse I am seeking is that they bring in and transplant two mature trees with good canopies to provite immediate relief (shade, cooling, privacy). How much would it cost to have a lawyer letter sent seeking this recourse?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anybody there?
A local lawyer letter should not cost more than $450 assuming a couple of hours of work. Hoa should agree to avoid court. Is that clearer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could someone please answer my follow up question? Your original answer mentioned a "lawyer letter". Appoximately how much does it cost to send a lawyer letter?
I replied above. $450 is an estimate for a local lawyer to prepare. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
acceptable. Thank you for your answers.
Very welcome.
Good luck!!
Hopefully resolves quickly.
Kindly rate me five stars.
Infolawyer, Lawyer