Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The property next door was tied up in court for over 3

Customer Question
The property next door...

The property next door was tied up in court for over 3 years. The grass height continually exceed the city's ordinance. I made numerous requests to the city's secretary and bank to mow the grass to no avail. I mowed the grass for over 3 years to protect my home and surrounding homes investments, to prevent field mice and snake infestations. The house is now up for sale. I presented the city and bank with an invoice for services rendered to the aforementioned. Am I able to receive pay via a mechanics lien?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I've sent my invoice to the city and bank. I also have emails that substantiates my claim.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You want to know if you can force the city to pay you for these services? Services they never agreed to pay to before you rendered them?

The city raised the grass height from 6" to 12" to prevent me from complaining. Both city and Bank promised to keep the property mowed but didn't for over 3 years. I was forced to mow the grass. Yes...I am requesting back pay from the city or bank for services rendered for the past 3 years.
Am I being charged again for this services?

Sorry...what does that mean "am I being charged again"? I am a user of the website...just like you. I have no insight into their billing...

Please disregard....

Certainly. Best of luck to you