Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbors are putting up a fence on the property line and…

Customer Question
My neighbors are putting...

My neighbors are putting up a fence on the property line and i want to stop it. I have had full access to the sliver of land

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I even put a gate up blocking access to anyone. Is there anyway to stop it i live in Avalon, ca.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have had full access since 2012 to a sliver of land next to my house approx 2.5 ft. I even put up a gate to block access. Then my neighbors decided to put up a 8' fence that is right on the property line. There is a pipe that runs down the center of our property line. So i went to the building inspector and tried to get an easement but he waived it off as a despute and didnt really look into it. Just said they were allowed. Then i went to city works and tried to get them to come look at the pipe but they didnt show. Is there anykind of loop hole to stop the fence from going up. I live in Avalon, Ca.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/9/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley

I would try code enforcement officer again

I doubt that the code allows for a fence to be on the property line there is usually some sort of buffer that must be used

Tina, Lawyer