Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am going through a divorce, currently my wife was awarded…

Customer Question
I am going through a...
I am going through a divorce, currently my wife was awarded the home. I have some things left in the house that I am trying to get out and she is refuseing to let me in to get it. I am still on the deed to the property and the mortgage. What can I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/9/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case. There is no basis to contest your position, which apparently is simply being pursued in bad faith against facts and law. You can warn her that what she is doing is illegal and violates your rights to your personal property. A lawyer can write her, police may help, and otherwise can motion the court to order access. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
She is telling me that she will give me my things if I give her my lawn mower that she claims is hers. I took it following the separation and then she demanded it back.
I also have racing pigeons on the property that I want to check on and she refuses to allow it. Can I just do it any way?
You can settle or you can insist on your property otherwise. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable". if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
If I am on he deed and mortgage with no court order keeping me off the property do I have a legal right to go and take my things? Do I have a legal right to show up and go on the property to take care of my birds? Can you also tell me what the RCW or statute may be regarding this?
Your name on title allows you to enter. There is no applicable statute as you are the property owner without court limitation.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
With out keys to the property, do I have to have her there? If I have law enforcement escort me do I need proof that shows I'm a legal owner?
You can enter without her. Police may ask for proof you own such as a copy of the deed. Kindly rate me five stars.
Not satisfied.
what else can I answer for you? I replied to several questioned you posed quickly and directly.
I want to know if she has to be home for me to go in? When law enforcement came to escort me she was gone, but her sister was there and they wouldn't let me in. As a legally registered owner can I get in however I have to or am I required to wait for her presence.
Does law enforcement actually have to escort me
You have a right to enter on your own as it is your property. There is no court order against it. Police do not need to escort you. The reason police may be helpful is to witness you are only taking your property and if you don't have a key. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Infolawyer, Lawyer