Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A portion at the top of my tree in Greenville SC appears…

Customer Question
A portion at the top...
A portion at the top of my tree in Greenville SC appears dead. It is on the side away from my neighbors property. The neighbor has expressed concern the tree is dying and will fall. The most likely damage if that happens is to a fence and perhaps his lawn. The tree is near my electric line. I asked Duke Energy to see if the tree was a problem. They did not get back to me. Can I be forced to remove the tree based on my neighbors fear.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

It is possible that they could sue under a nuisance theory to get an order that the tree would be removed. A more likely scenario, however, is that the tree wold fall, cause damage and you would be sued for negligence in not taking action to remove the tree when you were put on notice.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.