Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Water backed up through my condo kitchen sink from a clogged

Customer Question
common area drain pipe and...
Water backed up through my condo kitchen sink from a clogged common area drain pipe and damage my cabinets, floors and walls, who is responsible the Me or the HOA
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The HOA management company out water remediation Person
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/9/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's the HOA's responsibility. A recent California case, Affan v. Portofino Cove Homeowners Association, Inc., No. G041379, (Cal. App. 4th October 29, 2010), involves an interesting issue of liability for resulting damage and contamination to the interior of a condominium unit related to a sewage back-up. California Civil Code section 4775(a) makes the association responsible for “repairing, replacing, or maintaining the common area,” unless otherwise provided for in the declaration of a common-interest development. The association is also responsible for insuring the common property or else it would not be able to file an insurance claim in the event of a large repair or disaster. That would create an undue burden on titleholders who would have to pony up for the expenses on top of all the other fees they pay. The owner's own property insurance would not cover expenses that are the responsibility of the association.

So in short, the HOA is responsible, plain and simple.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Hello?

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~30 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer