Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My property manager has given me a paper saying she isn't…

Customer Question
My property manager has...

My property manager has given me a paper saying she isn't renewing my lease but putting me on month to month. I have NEVER been served a notice of any kind to change something I was doing wrong, I am 65, disabled, on Section 8, & in a tax credit apartment also I believe. please help me I am really scared.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. I don't know what to do. she isn't doing anything now she will not talk to me about it and the ladies answering the phones in the office are very rude if I call.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/9/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

When does the lease expire?

the lease expires on October 31,2017.
she wants to then put me on a month to month then she raised my rent to market value. from approximately 913.00 a mo. to 1045.00 a mo.

Thank you for the additional information. I am so sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, there is no legal obligation for the manager or landlord to renew a sec. 8 lease when it expires. All that is legally required is that the landlord give 60 days written notice of nonrenewal, which they have apparently done.

While you may want to find a new apartment to move to where you can get a fixed term lease, you can also see if there is some way to motivate the landlord to enter into a new lease.

Sometimes it is just a matter of offering a nominal increase in the rent payment.

Also, if you believe you are being discriminated against due to race, religion, age, etc., you can file a complaint with HUD and the State Attorney General's Office.

Otherwise, I am afraid, your legal options are limited.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not wan to you spinning your wheels on this.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

No reply

No reply to what? Can you see my answer?

Here is what I posted to you above:

Unfortunately, there is no legal obligation for the manager or landlord to renew a sec. 8 lease when it expires. All that is legally required is that the landlord give 60 days written notice of nonrenewal, which they have apparently done.While you may want to find a new apartment to move to where you can get a fixed term lease, you can also see if there is some way to motivate the landlord to enter into a new lease.Sometimes it is just a matter of offering a nominal increase in the rent payment.Also, if you believe you are being discriminated against due to race, religion, age, etc., you can file a complaint with HUD and the State Attorney General's Office.Otherwise, I am afraid, your legal options are limited.I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not wan to you spinning your wheels on this. Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

I read him 01

I do not know what that means. ("I read him 01")

Loren, Lawyer