Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I asked for a repair about 4 months ago, landlord finally…

Customer Question
HI I asked for...

HI I asked for a repair about 4 months ago, landlord finally fixed it, but I also complained about roaches so he send me a nasty message saying that the roaches were my fault and that he took pictures and video because "I don't clean" the repair on the ceiling was a water leak from the tub upstars, it was left open and I could see the discoloured wood. I was trying to get out of the lease agreement by arguing that the apartment was a hazard to my health

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I have the history of the leak on the apartments website ...it was sent as a message... there were several messages sent and the final was sent this week

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is when he did not liked that I used the term hazard...and went on to blame me for not been clean and cover the whole in the ceiling the same day I felt harassed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/8/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I have read your comments, but I am not sure what your legal question is?

.

How long have you lived there?

.

Were the roaches there when you moved in?

.

Are you under a fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

.

thanks

I am under a 1 year lease that is about to expire next month. I don't recall seeing roaches until the wet, humid ceiling was left uncovered in the restroom. I never complained to the landlord. I sent 2 messages regarding the leak and it was fixed but the ceiling was still left uncovered. I finally had enough because I've been noticing tons of roaches lately in the apartment.

Ok, thank you for that information... What is your legal question I can help with?

.

If your lease is up next month, and the landlord doesn't maintain the property, is moving an option?

.

Have you sent the landlord a written request to have an exterminator cure the roach problem?

.

.

thanks

Tina, Lawyer