How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34421
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a dishwasher leak that ran from my condo in Hoboken to

Customer Question

I had a dishwasher leak that ran from my condo in Hoboken to the condo below mine. My hardwood floors are damaged and the ceiling of the below unit needs repair.
I claimed against the HOA's insurance policy and the insurance company reviewed the HOA documents and approved the claim. However the HOA board will not approve as they don't believe that the policy should cover the claim.
Per my reading of the governing documents, I feel that it is covered incident and furthermore the insurance agent reviewed it and approved it so I am confused as to why the HOA board will object.
I need assistance/guidance on this matter.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Hoboken, NJ
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: sorry what do you mean by paperwork? the claim was submitted to the insurance agent and approved by the insurance company in writing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Loren, chat is fine for now.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
If the Association is refusing to cover a claim the declaration and bylaws require they address then that could be the basis for a claim of breach of fiduciary duty by the board.
Have your attorney send a letter to the board demanding they sign off on the claim or face a potential lawsuit in which they could have personal liability, as is a possibility for a claim of breaching a fiduciary duty. That should get their attention.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The board has consulted with an attorney of their own before making the conclusion.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have an attorney. I thought that's what I am speaking with you about.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
It is not up to the board to interpret the coverage of the policy. The policy covers what is states. If the insurance provider says your claim is covered then that is it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you draft the letter for me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for the vote of confidence. Unfortunately, I am not taking in new clients (retired).
If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise: is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Loren, I'm a little confused as to why I just spent $45. I did not want someone to tell me to ask my attorney to write a letter. That seems kind of silly and which is what I was trying to achieve on this site. Seems to have been a misunderstanding in expectations.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
What I was informing you of was the duty owed by the board and your options for moving this forward.
This is not a law firm. It is a question and answer site. I am not and can not represent you from this site. It would violate site rules and state bar regulations.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
I understand your frustration. You can request a refund from customer service. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do I do that?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Please be aware that I, and the other Experts on the site, are site users like you (I am not an employee of JA), and I do not (and can not) see any account info or address payment issues, but Customer Service will be happy to assist you.If you are having trouble, you can reach Customer Service assistance at this link: you can chat, call, or send a support request. You can also email directly to***@******.***Thanks.