Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I own a condominium. The HOA board has decided without our

Customer Question

I own a condominium. The HOA board has decided without our permission to to close the only road in or out of the complex to finish resurfacing the road. In the past it has been done by doing one half of the road so that we would have access to our unit. They want the road closed to all traffice for ten days to complete the project. We are expectedd to park a mile or so and walk home. No emergency equipment would be allowed in. When I questioned this I was told it would be done this way because it would cost less. We are expected mainly to live elsewhere for 10 days. This is a hardship for me. I am mobility challenged and use oxygen at nite. I can care for myself but I should not have to spend money on a hotel room. Can they legally do this?.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Inndiana
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not that I know> I talked to one of the board members and she said that she was tired if people compalining about this to her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not sure what he needs to know.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.
On review of your facts, you have a good case. The hoa cannot impose such a hardship and needs to either adjust its plan or cover your costs to temporarily relocate. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. can have counsel make demand of them to do one of these two options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.