Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord is doing major construction in the basement for…

Customer Question
My landlord is doing...

My landlord is doing major construction in the basement for seepage and leakage that I've had to clean up for years everytime it rains. This will be going on for 3 to 4 weeks. People will be carting in equipment through the living room and carting out debris like cement out through the room. My washer and dryer has been disconnected for this time and she has raised my rent $250. a month. I told her I would pay the raise when all the work was completed and everything put back to normal. She refused to negotiate the increase. She also refuses to accept putting off the increase till the work is done. My living space has been reduced quite a bit and my townhouse will be in an uproar everyday for 3 to 4 weeks. I refused to pay the increase but have paid the regular payment. Am I wrong here? What else can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Highland Park, Illinois.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, but what would be filed or reported?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had boxes in the basement that I had to get a mover and storage place for. Mnay boxes and items were destroyed due to 2 bad rains and a drain overage in July. My landlord would not help in sharing the payment for any of this.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case. There is no basis to contest your position, which apparently is simply being pursued in bad faith against facts and law. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
what basis would a lawsuit be on?
Failure to compensate for losses incurred and interference with habitability and quiet enjoyment, failure to cure.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
not acceptable
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
Tina, Lawyer