Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi,
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Rosenstein & Associates
99622407

Wanted to know if criminal charges can be brought against a

Customer Question

Wanted to know if criminal charges can be brought against a landlord if the tenant says he has moved out in the court.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Texas Lamar County
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes, I filed an eviction notice and we were in court on 09/01/2017, The tenant stated in court, he had already moved out. There is not court recording of the hearing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, just want to know if the tenant file criminal charges because there was one couch still left in the house.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roy Hadavi replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

A tenant is not able to file criminal charges, nor is any other non-governmental individual. The only thing they can do is file a police report. The police would investigate and present the evidence to the district attorney's office. The district attorney's office then determines whether to press charges.

From the information you provided there does not seem to be any criminal activity on your part. A landlord may file an eviction proceeding to remove a tenant, including the tenant's property.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ol okay thanks for your help I just wanted to clarify my rights. Big cause the judge said that she gave him the tenant 5 days to get out. Since he said he had already moved out I took in about myself to change the locks on September 1st. Wanted to confirm know criminal charges bout app against but against me I'm not worried about a silver lawsuit just criminal

I am glad I was able to help.

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rate 5

Thank you! You need to enter the rating at the top of the screen by clicking on the 5 stars in order for it to count.

Please don't forget to click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen, otherwise I get not credit.

Thank you.

Thank you.