Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Gas grills in Tennessee condos. Is there an exception if the…

Customer Question
Gas grills in Tennessee...

Gas grills in Tennessee condos. Is there an exception if the building is only three stories?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What paperwork? I'm secretary of our HOA and am developing Rules & Regulations for the members.There is no mention of this restriction in the Master Deed or the Bylaws, but does NFPA 308.3.1.1 supercede our Master Deed/Bylaws. Are there State-by-State differences? Thanks, ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As far as I know, that's the only problem and I anticipate some pushback from the non-Board members if we introduce this restriction. tn

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You would need to amend your bylaws to conform with NFPA 308.3.1.1 if you want out law propane grills on wooden balconies.Note electric ones can be allowed.

Some counties have done this in mass.Example

http://www.unidocs.org/fire/revision_highlights/un-090_(Revision_Highlights_2014-11-12).pdf

Here you would need to add these your amended rules to prohibit these based on safety recommendations of the NFPA.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.